Dental fillings are a type of restorative treatment designed to repair minor to moderate tooth damage. Our skilled dentist may recommend a dental filling if you have a cavity, or if your tooth has experienced fracturing or chipping. Fillings work by literally “filling in” the cracks and holes in your damaged tooth, restoring its structure, function and appearance.
Traditional dental fillings are made of silver amalgam. However, at the office of Andrew Cohen, DMD and Associates we offer composite, or tooth-colored, fillings instead. We have chosen to use composite filling materials as they promote better long-term oral health as well as a natural-looking result. Each filling is carefully selected to match your natural tooth color to give you a beautiful and healthy-looking smile. Composite resin also bonds to your tooth to provide more support for the tooth’s structural integrity, which helps keep it from breaking in the future and insulates it from temperature changes caused by foods and beverages.
Other benefits of composite fillings include:
- Composite fillings create better seals around the edges of the damaged area, making your tooth more resistant to leaks and reoccurring decay.
- Composite fillings are more likely to prevent further fracturing of the tooth.
- Composite fillings can often correct cavities that are too small for amalgam fillings to repair.
- If damaged, a composite filling can be repaired without needing to be removed from the tooth.
- Amalgam fillings use mercury to hold the metals in the filling together. Composites have no mercury or other metals in them, making them safer for use.
We invite you to call us at 215-572-7566 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Andrew Cohen or Dr. Matt Garbin and learn more about how you can benefit from a composite dental filling in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania.